April 22 is Earth Day and we are celebrating with a very special blog hop. Kunin Felt and Walnut Hollow, two “Made in the USA” companies committed to eco-friendly practices and quality products partner to bring you indoor, outdoor home decor projects.
I love Hearts and when I saw the Rustic Heart Walnut Hollow® offers, that was it! I found my perfect piece. With spring in the air and the song birds returning I was inspired to create a song bird happily singing on a picket fence surrounded by colourful flowers. Now the fun part choosing the colours of felt to use, so many choices!
Here is what you need:
Rustic Heart by Walnut Hollow®
9" x 12" Craftcuts of Kunin Eco-fi Plus Felt: 1 Candy Pink, 1 Lagoon Blue, 1 Orange
9" x 12" Craftcuts of Kunin Prestofelt: 1 Neon Green, 1 White
9" x 12" Craftcut of Kunin Printzfelt: 1 Retro Floral
2 pkg Aleene's Permanent Fabric Adhesive Sheets
Assorted Buttons Laura Kelly Designs for Buttons Galore
Westcott Brand 12" scissors
Aqua, pink embroidery floss
3-6" print fabric squares
1 yd Ribbon for hanging
Aqua acrylic paint
Fabi Floral, Bird, Picket Fence Dies by Sizzix
Die cut machine
Brush, needle, soft cloth
1. Dilute a small amount of paint with water to create a wash. Test on back for colour depth. Apply to front and sides. Use the wet cloth to wipe the front bringing out the grain of the wood. Set aside to dry.
2. Cut felt pieces to fit die cuts. Apply adhesive sheets to back of fabric and felt pieces. (Prestofelt pieces already have an adhesive back.)
3. Die cut birds, a variety of flowers and a fence piece. (I die cut two birds as I wasn't sure which colour bird I wanted.) Any extras you do not use can be put aside for another project.
4. Begin layering flowers and arranging bird, fence and flowers on rustic heart. Add buttons on top of flowers. Once you are happy with your arrangement take a photo with your phone or tablet. (This will be helpful to refer to when adhering pieces in place.)
5. Adhere top flowers to bottoms and sew buttons to centers of flowers. Stitch around wing of bird. Stitch a French knot for eye. Straight stitch tail accents for bird.
6. Peel backing and adhere bird to heart. Add fence. Peel and adhere flowers in place.
7. Use a couple of tacks to fasten ribbon to back if hanging. Add flower to center ribbon loop.
Happy Spring! Want to learn more about these two Ecofriendly companies?
It all began with Stephen Seymour Kunin in the 1960’s, “the Father of Craft Felts”. Now The Kunin Group, located in NH manufactures adhesive-backed, die-cut, embossed, and stiffened fabrics in several color and style options using their Eco-fi fiber. Kunin turns trash into treasure using 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles. Over six hundred million bottles end up in landfills each year, so far this year Kunin has recycled over 350,000, 000 and counting. This adds the value of environmental stewardship to the fun of making crafts.
Connect with The Kunin Group here:
Walnut Hollow® began as a small family-owned business in Dodgeville, WI in the 70’s. Walnut Hollow is committed to protecting the environment and replenishing natural resources. · The company’s owners and employees have been since the beginning strongly committed to preserving natural resources through its raw materials consumption practices, production processes, recycling activities, and community involvement. The Ladd's (owners and founders of Walnut Hollow) have planted more than 300,000 trees and shrubs on personal property in the surrounding area. Whenever possible, raw material is harvested from plantation and managed woodlands for the manufacture of their home décor items and wood surfaces. Through their manufacturing process no wood waste ends up in landfills, all is recycled. Walnut Hollow’s emphasis has always been to bring the best possible quality products to art and craft hobbyists.
Connect with Walnut Hollow® here and learn more:
Website: http://www.walnuthollow.com, http://www.walnuthollow.com/about-us
Our teams are sharing projects that pair both the Kunin Group felt and Walnut Hollow wood products to create practical and beautiful home decor, organizing solutions, and entertaining items. You can make these projects all year long, not just for Earth Day. To see more inspiring projects, please hop along using the list below:
Celebrating the Made In the USA, eco-friendly fun, we're having a giveaway! We're sending an assortment of Walnut Hollow wood and Kunin Felt products to one lucky crafter. Use the widget above this post to enter to win! in this Earthfriendly Giveaway!